Adventure's of a volunteer.......

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Zucchini....zucchini....zucchini....

Well if you have been reading my blog, you know that I thought I bought 4 zucchini plant when I really bought 8. Well zucchini and I have become friends. I have made 6 loaves (so far) of bread. I wonder if the staff at Meriter 3-North is getting sick of it yet. I LOVE to share. I have made fried zucchini, and baked zucchini. I was in the mood for a salad, and thought hmmmm, how can I use up more zucchini. Yep, picked 4 more yesterday! So I made this zucchini salad. And it is SO good. I have never tried raw zucchini and although it does not have much flavor, it has crunch. I shared some with my friend Cindy, and she loved it too. It is a sweet/sour type salad. And the sky is the limit as to what you could put in it.
  • Joan's Zucchini Salad
  • 1 ( 1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 t salt
  • 1 t ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery chopped
  • 7 small zucchini, chopped
  • 1 med red onion, chopped
  • 1 can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
  • In a mixing bowl soak the onion soup mix with the white wine vinegar. Let stand 5 minutes. Combine the green pepper, celery, zucchini, red onion and kidney beans in a bowl. Add the white sugar, salt, pepper, vegetable oil and apple cider vinegar to the bowl with the soup mix and white wine vinegar. Mix well. Pour over vegetables.
  • Chill at least 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain off any extra liquid before serving.
Let me know if you try this, and how your family likes it. It has been so hot here in Wisconsin for the past 3 weeks, so this is a nice refreshing salad.
Thanks for stopping by, have a GREAT day!


No comments:

Post a Comment